Thursday, September 24, 2009

Week 8 tute task

Sign an e-petition.
No problems. I googled “sign a petition” and I chose the first site that came up, www.whalesrevenge.com. It was a campaign to gather one million signatures to stop whaling. It’s a campaign that I believe in and I think I’m not only sticking to my political belief but reinstating them as well. I heard about a restaurant in Japan that served whale burger. Really, how good must endangered meat taste?

Respond to a professional blogger at a major news site.
Honestly, I don’t know any bloggers who work at news sites but I do know of feature columnists in the newspapers. One writer in particular is Frances Whiting, she irritates the hell out of me. I wrote:

Dear Frances,
I think your column stinks and constantly wonder why you are still being published.
If you have any reasons please tell me. I am baffled!
From,
Anna Heraghty.
I’m still waiting for the response to see if it has been published or not. It doesn’t go against my political beliefs- I am all for free speech and writing to Mrs Whiting has been on my to do list for some time now.
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,26095526-5012445,00.html

What is Barak Obama up to today?
Did someone say invasion of privacy? I wasn’t very comfortable looking up Barack Obama’s schedule but couldn’t find it anyway. I suppose the FBI was on top of it and saw it as the breech of security it is. I did however find what Obama did yesterday, on http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/ .

Find out who your local, state and federal representatives are.

Local: I live in West End which makes me apart of the ‘Gabba Ward’. I found out that Councillor Helen Abrahams was my local representative. http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:BASE:1709411286:pc=PC_3024 State: I’m assuming, Anna Bligh? She is the premier of Queensland and when I googled “Queensland representative” there were no definite results. I went to her web site which was no use- it didn’t say she was a “representative” or not. http://www.thepremier.qld.gov.au/index.aspx Federal: I’ll put my money on Kevin Rudd. He is the Prime Minister of Australia and in the House of Representatives. http://www.aph.gov.au/House/members/member.asp?id=83T Finding the local, state and federal representatives was an act of sticking to my political beliefs. They are there to represent the community and myself in parliament. It’s important to know who they are.

Let your local member know what you think about their last speech.
So I was on the Parliament of Australia, House of Representatives website because honestly, I have no idea who my local member is. While there I came across Arch Bevis who is the member for Brisbane. I went on that tangent because I had already spent a solid twenty minuets trying to find who my local member was. His last speech was on the 20th August 2009 about Health Legislation Amendment (Midwives and Nurse Practitioners) Bill. I sent him a note on his website http://www.archbevis.com/ in the ‘contact Arch’ page. I told him I agreed and to keep up the good work.

No comments:

Post a Comment